Frequently Asked Questions
for Direct Vision Insurance Members
Who is eligible for this plan?
The insurance coverage is available in states where it’s approved to anyone age 18 and older who does not have coverage through another Ameritas dental plan. You can request coverage for your dependents; dependent eligibility varies based on state law.
How quickly can I start my coverage?
The Direct Vision Insurance plans provide four options for effective dates. Choose the one that works best for you and your family. You will receive an email confirmation immediately following your enrollment to verify this information. Your policy will arrive within 10 business days of enrollment.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Your enrollment may take 2-3 business days before it becomes accessible to the EyeMed or VSP provider. If you have an appointment within several days of your effective date and your provider indicates you are not yet in their system, please call customer service for assistance. Representatives are available Monday – Friday at 800.300.9566.
What if I change my mind about the coverage shortly after enrolling?
Direct Vision Insurance comes with a 30-day Customer Satisfaction Guarantee. You have 30 days after your plan becomes effective to cancel your plan if you are not satisfied for any reason. Any premium paid, minus the enrollment fee, will be fully refunded provided no covered services have been rendered.* If services have been provided, you may still cancel your policy however the premium paid will not be eligible for reimbursement.
* Plan includes a one-time non-refundable enrollment fee of $25. This charge will be made at the time of purchase and may appear as a separate transaction from your vision insurance.
Will I receive an ID Card?
• If you enroll in the EyeMed plan – yes, you will receive an ID card.
• With the VSP plan you will not receive an ID card. An ID card is not required when visiting a VSP provider. Simply tell your VSP provider you have the VSP Choice Network plan. If you would like to print an ID card for yourself or covered family members simply visit vsp.com to download card(s).
Where can I go to find a vision provider?
• Find EyeMed providers at www.EyeMed.com (choose the Access Network) or call 866.939.3633
• Find VSP providers at www.VSP.com (Choose the Choice + Affiliates Network) or call 800.877.7195
Who should I contact regarding a claim?
• For questions regarding a claim contact EyeMed at 800.521.3605.
• For questions regarding a claim, contact VSP at 800.877.7195.
What can you tell me about Ameritas Life Insurance, the insurance company underwriting this plan?
• Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. and its affiliated companies have a proud and rich heritage dating back to the late 1880s. This tradition is deeply rooted in our commitment to our customers, a foundation of integrity and trust and a legacy of financial strength to deliver on our promises.
o Standard & Poor’s A+ (Strong) for insurer financial strength. This is the fifth highest of Standard & Poor’s 21 ratings.
o A.M. Best Company A (Excellent) for financial strength and operating performance. This is the third highest of A.M. Best’s 15 ratings.